Thursday, April 9, 2009

Is This My Future...Really?

So New Years Day I went out for breakfast. I went by myself, and this is an activity that I will do regularly. Due to my job, retail, my schedule has me doing a lot of things by myself because my days off are different than most of my friends. Anyway, I go to a little diner around the corner from me and ask for a table for one. I'm thinking how nice it was to be there, and how relaxed I was. I couldn't wait to get in and have my favorite omelette and a delicious bloody mary. When I am finally led to a table I see several women eating alone too. I've never seen this many women eating alone in my entire life. These women were much older than myself which doesn't mean anything but they all looked so sad and pitiful. You could just see them eating their little breakfast, all of which weren't celebratory. Some just had toast, some scrambled eggs, and you just knew that they couldn't wait to get home to their cats that they had knit cute little outfits for.


I looked around me and thought: well I guess this is my future. Given it was early for New Years Day, and the revelers from the night before hadn't risen yet. I just felt awful. I've never felt this way before when eating out alone but this was horrible. I looked just like these pitiful women, and I learned that if you are going to eat out alone do not do it on New Year's Day!


I also have to pose this question: Why do men look less desparate then women when eating alone? When you see a man eating alone unless they look like they are a hundred don't you usually think; oh he must be a truck driver, or a business man away from home, or the family must be away on vacation. You see a woman eating alone you think aaaawww. Isn't she sad? Poor thing is all alone. I bet she has at least four cats, and she can't stand being away from them. I wonder what's wrong with her that she is alone. All I can say is I hope that someone will put me out of my misery before I start sewing or knitting things for pets, or eating TOAST for breakfast when I go out for breakfast.

No comments: